Katie Millicent Byrne’s Bountiful Baked Bread and Butter Pudding
• True Free Range eggs x 4
• Sugar x ¾ cup
• Vanilla Essence x 1 teaspoon
• Bread buttered x 2 slices (can add jam/marmalade, sultanas/raisins optional)
1. Warm milk on top of stove
2. While milk is warming place into a 20cm oven proof pie dish eggs, sugar and vanilla essence and beat with a fork. (It does not need to be fluffy)
3. Add the warm milk while beating egg mixture
4. Add the optional sultanas or raisins
5. Spread the bread with butter and the optional jam/marmalade, cut each slice into 4 pieces and place on top of the milk mixture
6. Sprinkle with nutmeg
7. Bake in oven at 150°C for about ¾ hour or until custard is set.
Tip: Place pudding dish into a larger baking dish of water (about ½ way filled) This will help to set the custard evenly.
Recipe provided by Pauline Whitehead