Prep Time: A fair bit as you need to soak the rabbit overnight and butcher it.
Cook Time: 3 – 4 hours.
Serves 2 – 3 per rabbit.
- Rabbit x1 cotton tail butchered (can leave bones in)
- Tomatoes x 8 diced
- Swiss Brown mushrooms x 5 diced
- Red Capsicum x ½ diced
- Brown Onion x 1 diced
- Garlic x 6 cloves diced
- Kalamata Olives x a hearty fist full chopped
- White wine vinegar
- Oil (grapeseed or olive)
- Red Wine
- Black Pepper
- Hungarian Sweet Paprika
- Soak rabbit in a brine overnight. We use a brine of water with a few spoons of salt and a splash of white vinegar.
- Butcher Rabbit. You can debone if you wish but we usually don’t as it takes ages.
- Season Rabbit with plain white flour.
- Add a healthy dose of oil to a pan. We used grapeseed oil, but a vegetable or olive oil will work too. Add on top of this a good scoop of butter. We used a vegan olive oil butter. Apply a medium heat to your pan.
- Brown your rabbit in the oil while continuing to season with a pinch of salt, pepper and paprika. This shouldn’t take longer than 5 or 10 minutes on each side.
- Remove the rabbit and rest on a plate where it will continue to cook in its own heat and fat.
- Do not clean the pot but instead add the tomatoes, mushrooms, capsicum, onion, garlic, olives to it.
- Apply a medium/high heat and add at least a cup of water.
- Add a big splash of red wine then boil your vegetables down. This shouldn’t take longer than 40 minutes or so.
- Add your rabbit and herbs to the pot and continue to cook on a low heat for 2 – 3 hours.
- Serve with pasta and garnish with parsley and have a sick time doing it!
CHECK OUT OUR YOUTUBE VIDEO TO SEE THIS MEAL IN ACTION!